Pages

Sunday 31 October 2010

A truly HORRORific weekend...

Yes, that is the best Halloween related blog title I could come up with, and yes I am now exceptionally glad it's all over. I had a lot of fun this weekend but it was utterly manic hence the reason I've not updated this thing for a good few days. I'm going to try and piece it together in this post but I have a suspicion this might prove quite difficult...



Starting on Friday I found myself at Death Disco's Halloween warm up which featured a live performance from Jamaica as well as sets from DD residents. I could only get down for 9 so missed MOPP live but managed to catch Josh Jones hammering himself through some seductive disco and kick-starting a fantastic atmosphere with a number of electro-charged rhythms.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Jamaica but with DJ Mehdi & Riton in the crowd my expectations were quite high. Bouncing through an energetic set with numbers from their debut album 'No Problem', they proved to be really quite entertaining with lead singer Antoine Hilaire emanating a mixture of French cool and ultimo Euro-cheese (think Bob Sinclar without the perfectly toned man pecks). Musically I found my unfamiliarity with the band didn't matter as each track was entertaining enough to hold my attention, climaxing with the Xavier (Justice) produced 'I Think I Like You' which sounds like a cross between super-neat, French turbo-pop and out and out 80's power rock. With what can only be described as a deluge outside this was a more than acceptable way to start the weekend!

Following on from this it was on up to Glasgow Uni to DJ the 10hr Hive which as always was massively fun even though the fire alarm did go off half way through my set sending 1000 sweaty students out into the street.



Saturday was spent setting up the Magnetic Man gig for Mixed Bizness at the Sub Club before DJ'ing as a French Waluigi (Luigi's evil twin) at The Local's Halloween weekender. Back down to the Subbie after to derig, managing to catch the last song and probably losing a pound in sweat just standing there. From what I've heard it was a truly epic evening and even after yet another fire alarm went off as people were getting their coats you couldn't wipe the smiles off with an industrial strength floor buffer.

Finally, it was off to Subcity's massive party at the Art School for Dimension B. If you want a general rule of thumb, Subcity parties NEVER fail. It's hard to communicate just how much work obviously went into this party but the attention to detail was astonishing, with even the entrance being transformed into a disturbing portal into the unknown. Both rooms were utterly rammed but upstairs had the edge with a production set up which was truly mind blowing. The DJ's were perched on what can only be described as a mega structure which could easily have featured in Mad Max, great shafts of coloured light split the smoke filled atmosphere and every where you turned there were clever details such as missing person posters and TV screens displaying the message 'DIMENSION B - NO SIGNAL'. All the DJ's and live acts were exceptional, but for me Tarantism & Hahaha really stood out as whipping the crowd into a frenzy, with a masterful choice of music to suit the atmosphere, theme and set-up. I even saw Skream & Benga cutting about at one point....

If you weren't there here's what you missed:


Hahaha live


























Photos and video by Sean Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment