Pages

Friday 25 February 2011

Death Disco W/ The Magician, Renaissance Man & Blondes: Review



It’s half eleven in the Dance Arch of this months Death Disco, I’ve just had a full body search upon entry, the drinks at The Arches have become so dear I’ve been reduced to drinking Apple Sourz and there’s only about 50 people dancing awkwardly in the breezy dance floor. Here, DD what happened? We used to get on so well. Every third Saturday I would anticipate with glee the reliable anarchic sounds, lights and shape throwing that would simply not be acceptable at any other club night. Kicking off its 9th year I get the irking feeling DD has been resting on its laurels a bit; it needs to excite the clubbers again. However, this evenings line up boasts The Magician, Renaissance Man and Blondes, so we’ll see. The night is still young…


New resident Hahaha

Glasgow’s new favourite DJ and one part of Vendor Defender, Hahaha plays his first set as a Death Disco resident this eve. My sources tell me this prankster likes to wear a gas mask for his sets, unfortunately this hilarious attire is nowhere to be seen but as Hahaha’s promising set of itching and interesting electronica draws to a close his boundless energy more than makes up for any stage gimmicks. A recent blinding set at Sub Club’s I AM with fellow producer Raksha, with whom Hahaha has collaborated with on some slick and soulful tunes meant my expectations were not only met BUT EXCEEDED. Hahaha was kind enough to indulge is some, albeit on my part, steaming chat (in which I mostly just asked repeatedly where his gas mask was). The DJ was admittedly nervous not only about becoming the new resident at DD, but opening for big names like Renaissance Man and The Magician, he seemed to be quite relieved it was over. Next up in the Play Room was another resident, Josh Jones (who I may have scared somewhat when I casually slipped in that I had a poster of him in my room). Josh was enjoying the chilled vibes of the evening, and was impressed with new kid on the line up Hahaha and Bright Light Bright Light’s laid back disco tunes.


Renaissance Man get bassy

Following Josh Jones in the Play Room was the dark, atmospheric sounds of Blondes, making for a trippy synth-heavy contrast to the upbeat bass of Renaissance Man next door. Very soulful, totally feel good and just shying away from cheesy Renaissance Man throws “Rolling In the Deep” in, completely making the set. Next up, was headliner The Magician who rounded up the evening with 90mins of brazen disco just made for the dance floor, signing off with “Love Will Tear Us Apart”, much to the now thick crowd’s delight.


The Magician rounds things off

With Ian Curtis still ringing in my ears, my faith has been restored back into Death Disco a little. But with fresh and highly successful club nights like Naïve grabbing the Glasgow clubbers attention, DD perhaps needs to pull more than just a rabbit out the hat.

Words: Ailie Robertson
Photos: Luke Winter

Death Disco Website
Death Disco on Facebook
Death Disco on Soundcloud

No comments:

Post a Comment