Pages

Thursday 24 February 2011

Get to know...Mash


MASH

Who: Martyn 'Mash' Henderson
Sounds: A combination of shimmering, deep-grooving House and dancefloor energising Electro

He must be regarded as one of Glasgow's biggest success stories, a working example of how a combination of hard work, persistence and an element of 'right place, right time' can get your anywhere. Starting out on our very own student radio station, Subcity, Martyn 'Mash' Henderson has played all over the world with everyone from Erol Alkan to Pete Tong, Felix Da Housecat to Basement Jaxx, he's held down a hugely successful radio show on Beat 106, XFM, Galaxy FM & now Capital and his own productions have claimed attention from the likes of Laurent Garnier, Paul Woolford and Mylo. This is a man who has actually made a career out of music and if we could achieve half the things he has then we'd go to the grave on a high note.

While most of the producers we introduce to you through this feature have either just started out or were still wetting the bed when Optimo arrived on the scene, Mash has been through the slog, he's handed out the flyers, he's worked the shit part time jobs and he's done the unpaid hospital radio. Proof that putting in the hours will pay off. With his recent re-release of single 'Somebody's Property' - a gorgeous, sun-licked terrace anthem in the making - hitting the top of Beatport's weekly House chart and remixes coming in from a host of searing Glasgow talent, there would appear to be no letting up in his burning desire to take things higher.

Musically his inspiration comes from all angles, proud owner of a diverse and expansive record collection, his approach to producing a track is organic, pinpointing potential samples and even getting the iPhone out to 'Shazam' an unknown track. This all helps influence the direction of his music, with some tracks taking a rather chilled and grooving form (Somebody's Property) and others emanating a pure, dancefloor energy(Ghettoblaster with Domsko). Either way, the quality running throughout is apparent and we get the feeling that Mash is perhaps in an enviable position. With years of experience behind him and a feverish enthusiasm this could well just be the start...

Check out a few of his tracks below, along his most recent mix and an interview with the man himself:

Somebody's Property (Mash Compact Disco mix) by mash

Mash and Domsko Ghetto Blaster by mash

Kedgeree by mash

Mash Ruff Jamz mix Feb 2011 by mash

S: Your career to date has seen you DJ at clubs like Turnmills, Cream and Bugged Out, play alongside the likes of Felix Da Housecat, Erol Alkan & Josh Wink, while also producing quality music and presenting ever-popular radio shows. What would you regard as your initial influences in dance music and how did you get started in this highly competitive industry?

M: I got started through a love of music and a vinyl addiction. Someone told me quite early on, buy what you like, don't follow scenes. Great advice. When I look back at stuff I bought as a kid, obviously there are total sniders in there, but in the main, there is good stuff, from Public Enemy to Weatheralls Primal Scream, to Inner City and KLF. I have always bought a wide spectrum of music and I am influenced by a lot of different sounds, you have to be, to know where things came from. I used to go and see all my dj heroes whenever I could, and it is quite cool djing with, interviewing on the radio and getting to know some of them in later life. I am a lucky guy djing with people like Basement Jaxx, Depeche Mode, Underworld, Groove Armada, Chemical Brothers and Carl Craig, especially when I am big fans of their work.


Mash with Karl Hyde of Underworld

S: You’ve managed to make a very successful career out of radio broadcasting, starting at Glasgow’s student radio station Subcity and now presenting the highly popular Capital FM, what do you think the key is to maintaining a successful radio career and how did you get your foot in the door?

M: I used to avidly listen to Jeff Youngs Big Beat show and then Pete Tong. I'm sure I still have tapes somewhere. I was buying as many records as my shitty part time job could pay for, and a friend of my parents invited me along to his Hospital radio show. Playing 60s records to pensioners wasn't going to be my forte, but it was instrumental in giving me that radio buzz. I started to do gigs in Glasgow and got offered a slot on Subcity with my dj partner at the time, Ali. It was a laugh and I'm sure we broke many Offcom regulations, but I wont tell if you don't. At that stage Beat 106 was getting set up. Put a demo together and went for interviews and got offered a weekly show. It would never of happened if we weren't volunteering on student radio. Loads of the people involved in Beat 106 and other stations were involved in Subcity at some stage. Student radio is definitely a way of getting in to commercial radio. 12 years later and I am still there, having dj'd on Beat 106, XFM, Galaxy and now Capital.

S: Your recent re-release of single ‘Somebody’s Property’ features remixes from the likes of Ooft, Sei A and Glasgow’s own Rob Etherson. What do you think of the current influx of producers coming out of Glasgow? And what’s your opinion on Glasgow’s thriving clubbing community as a whole?

M: The Glasgow scene is very healthy right now, it is hard to keep up. There are lots of brilliant young producers coming through. The scene is thriving now with - Numbers, Phuturelabs, Ooft!, Jackmaster, S Type, Mia Dora, Jazzy Phatt Nasties, The Revenge, Sei A, Milton Jackson, Domsko, How's Your Party?/Mixed Bizness, Soma, Rub a dub, Rob Etherson, 6th Borough Project, Optimo, Melting Pot, Subculture, and Glasgow Underground (back in the game), all flying the flag for Glasgow. The new remixes of my single, 'Somebody's Property' by Sei A, Ooft, Rob Etherson and Kevin McKay are all producers that I know from Glasgow and they are appealing to a wide spectrum of djs from house, disco and tech like XPress2, Digitalism, Jacques Renault, Groove Armada, Freeform Five etc. Delighted.



S: With focus on your music production, how do you go about making tunes? Is it studio based or do you keep it localised with a home set up? Also, do you have a particular approach to making music?

M: Usually I will get an idea in my head, maybe a sample or a melody or bassline (that I have secretly sung into my iPhone.) I will then lay down some beats, usually starting with a sampled loop then build around it. Often taking out the original sample to leave a track that stands up by itself. I have been in a garden centre or whatever holding my iPhone up to a speaker to Shazam what the track is, then find the track to sample it. I'm sure I get a few funny looks sometimes, but I just hear things that I want to work on. I've got a home set up but usually finish/master things in a real studio ha ha. Ableton and a couple of plug ins and you are good to go these days.

S: Obviously on top of music production you also present a radio show on Capital FM, run a club night and label called Compact Disco and fit in various DJ gigs around the country. How important do you think it is now for aspiring producers & DJ’s to be involved in different avenues of the industry?

M: I think they all go together really. I am lucky as I work full time in music, but I have worked in bars, record shops, and clothes shops to support my djing in the earlier days. I wish I had started making tracks earlier in my career, but I was doing club gigs and radio work at the time and just didn't have enough time. I also handed out flyers for clubs like Volcano, Tunnel and the Sub before I dj'd in each of them and that is another way of getting a foot in the door. You start to understand the importance of artwork, distribution, promotion and everything else that goes into a club gig. It is not just turning up and playing some tunes. There are so many jobs involved in the industry and so many courses supporting that now that you can follow a career and end up doing something totally different. I know of sound engineers that dj, djs that do graphics, they all go hand in hand.



S: Finally, with all the success you’ve had over the years and considering the position you’ve managed to get to, what would be your ultimate advice for people trying to make it in this industry and do you have any further goals you’d like to accomplish?

M: You have to have the balls to put yourself out there. When I started djing there was no internet and I got gigs by handing in tapes. (stop doing Maths to work out how old I am, I'm 35!) I went round knocking on doors. Nowadays it is easier to get a name for yourself by setting up a blog page, putting mixes online, creating a brand to buy into. Nobody is going to knock on your door and ask if you would like a gig. Immerse yourself in the scene, it is so easy to find out information about a venue, gig, producer or dj. There are also loads of courses available in many different aspects of the industry, some with funding available. Try and forge something unique, don't just do a diet coke version of Optimo. They have honed there sound over a long period of time and no one can do it like them. Do your own thing, but be aware of what is going on a round you, but try and stay ahead of the game! Further goals? Yeah I've got loads I still want to do. Bring it on.

Pick up Somebody's Property now on Beatport and check out Mash every Saturday night/Sunday Morning from 2-6am on Capital FM.

Mash on Soundcloud
Mash on Facebook
Mash Website

No comments:

Post a Comment