Pages

Tuesday 15 February 2011

Get to know...Peace


PEACE

Who: Salvador Navarrete
Sounds: Dramatic soundscapes laden with heavy bass and soaring synths

Remember your first month of DJ'ing? The nerves, getting ridiculously drunk to calm those nerves, being so drunk that your three-minute round mix of Spiller -'Groovejet' into Modjo - 'Lady' sounded like something reminiscent of a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant? Well put those jittery first gig experiences next to such names as A Trak, Cassius, The Magician & Louis La Roche and you might get an idea of the whirlwind six months that has launched the career of Peace.

Picked up as resident for the massively successful new night, Naive back in September of last year, Peace has partied in a mansion with Feadz, bounced about the stage in a tiger costume with Mr Flash and got seriously messy with Busy P & A Trak in the bowels of The Arches. Not bad considering he played his first gig literally two months before. Call it 'right place, right time', but it's his boundless energy which sees him booked to play around the city. The first time we saw Peace was when our own vianassa joined him to play Naive at the Sub Club in October. Phone in mouth, sweat pouring down his brow and jumping about the booth like a mad man saw the crowd literally run to the dancefloor - and with his cavalier attitude to song selection, producing such golden moments as Dr Dre into Destiny's Child then you find people being immediately energised by the pure audacity of such ventures.

Let's also not forget that Peace has become an exceptional producer of his own music over the last few months. Time and time again he has appeared in the columns of Synth, leaving us scratching our heads as to just how to categorize his booming bass and glittery pianos chords. Often mashing forgotten acapellas with his own instrumentals his music echoes his DJ'ing, grafting the familiar with the unfamiliar, drawing the listener into a false sense of security before blasting them with a wall of bass, leaving them gasping for more. This is someone who still has that uninhibited thirst for life which is often lost once the weight of the world kicks in, someone who has just started, but with talent beyond his years could achieve almost anything. Just remember though, you heard it here first...

Check out and download some of Peace's productions below and hear what the man has to say himself in the following interview. You can also catch him supporting Fred Falke & DJ Falcon at Naive on February 26th

LOOK UP, HANNAH by PEACE

SECURITY x HEARTBROKEN by PEACE

666 by PEACE

THE BALLET by PEACE

S: Obviously you’re still quite young, how did you actually get introduced to Glasgow’s thriving club scene? Was there a particular night, club, DJ or producer that inspired you to start producing?

P: I remember listening to the Justice live album 'A Cross The Universe' and the way they had these ridiculously massive build ups into massive massive drops; just hearing the crowds recorded reaction was the best thing I'd ever heard. Obviously Justice being as massive as they are, and through their record label & Ed Banger I heard all these new names, Mr. Flash, Sebastian and loads others...

S: You appear to have developed quite a unique sound with your own music, incorporating elements of Dubstep, Grime and Breaks. How would you personally describe your music and how do you see it developing in the future?

P: I try and make music I could hear in clubs, but also music I could just sit and listen to in the car or at a mates. sometimes I hear music and it's pretty crap to hear in anywhere else besides a club, and that's cool but for me I want to make music that's enjoyable in any situation. For the future I haven't really planned any style shifts, change usually happens before you've even realised it! Right now I'm just keeping my head down and getting on with it.


Warming up for A Trak, Cassius & Busy P

S: With regards to your production, what set up are you currently using to make your music and do you have any particular processes for making a track or is it quite spontaneous?

P: Right now I only use logic, I'll obviously expand on that when I get the money for it. With the writing process I'll usually try and work on an idea for days with no success, then one day just be doodling on it and a few hours later I've got a track that I'm really happy with! That's the way it usually goes, but if I have an acapella track the writing process is usually quite straight forward since I have a key and melody to work around.

S: Your also a resident at one of Glasgow’s newest and arguably biggest nights, Naive, playing alongside names such as A Trak, Cassius and Feadz. How does it feel to appear on the same flyer as some of these big names and are there any stories of debauchery from the night you can relay to us here?

P: I think its pretty funny seeing my name next to such big names, because I had only being playing clubs less than a month before then all of a sudden I'm playing along side one half of The Magician and Louis La Roche! I remember after Feadz and Mr flash, Feadz came back with us to this mansion in the middle of nowhere, swimming pool and all! It was ridiculous, but what happens in the mansion, STAYS in the mansion ;)


Feadz, pre mansion...

S: Having seen you DJ ourselves it would be fair to say that your style can be at times quite frantic but always exciting and full of energy. How would you personally describe yourself as a DJ and how important do you think it is to play to the crowd rather than try and educate people?

P: The way my set will work out is whatever I've been listening to leading up to the gig, I play! Obviously I'll work it so that it blends and flows, not just throwing random genres together, I always think it should be also appropriate in someway to the night, but most of all I really just wanna hear tracks I love on massive massive sound systems, that's the whole fun of it!

S: Finally, what do you have planned for the rest of 2011? Do you have intentions to get your some of your music released officially?

P: For a while now I've been looking for a label, but I think I need to not aim so high, maybe find a label more closer to home, someone that can help get my name about, I really really hope to have something officially released by the summer so I can try and get some gigs down south lined up, would be amazing!

Peace on Soundcloud
Peace on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment